Shadow and Volunteer Program Content
Emerge – A Child’s Place welcomes prospective therapy students to observe both group and individual therapy sessions. As a teaching clinic, we use state of the art equipment, evidenced based practice, highly trained clinical therapists, and a well developed program to provide quality observation experiences, beneficial to the prospective student’s experience, prior to applying to and entering a graduate program.
Goals of the Shadow and Volunteer Program
The Emerge – A Child’s Place Shadow and Volunteer Program is designed to:
- Provide opportunities for observation of individual and/or group therapy sessions to the prospective graduate student.
- Train prospective therapy students as volunteers through an application, interview, and orientation process.
- Provide opportunities for trained volunteers to assist with setup and cleanup of therapy sessions.
- Provide opportunities for trained volunteers to assist with non-therapeutic tasks while under direct supervision of the licensed therapist.
If you are seeking hours for graduate school or are hoping for a letter of recommendation:
As a Shadow or Volunteer at Emerge, you (the student), are responsible for bringing in an hours log in a timely manner for signature from our therapists. Hour logs will not be signed by our therapists after one month of completion of shadow/volunteer experience. Emerge – A Child’s Place does not guarantee a letter of recommendation at the end of your time with us. These letters are subject to the approval of the supervising therapist. If you would like a letter written on your behalf, this must also be requested in a timely manner. Requests made one month, or more, following the completion of your shadow/volunteer experience will not be acknowledged.
No Longer Scheduling Student Shadows/Observations for Speech-Language Pathology
Emerge is taking a temporary break from accepting and scheduling student shadows/observations. If you are a student interested in speech-language pathology and would like to observe a therapist at our clinic, please check back in with us in March/April of 2019. You will need to resubmit an application to shadow at that time as applications submitted prior may not be maintained.
We will still be accepting students interested in speech-language pathology as volunteer applicants. Please check with our website to see if volunteer spots have been filled.
OT Shadow Application
Speech Therapy Shadow Application
Requirements of a Student Shadow:
- Please Fill out the Shadow Application form.
- Joan Felton will be in contact and direct you to the appropriate shadow coordinator depending on your field of interest.
- Set up observation hours with shadow coordinator.
- Read and sign Emerge’s confidentiality agreement.
*Please note that a shadow is classified as a prospective therapy student, acquiring a minimal amount of strictly observation hours. These hours will be set up in advance with the shadow coordinator, depending on availability of the student and therapist.
Requirements of a Student Volunteer:
- Please Fill out the Volunteer Application form.
- Joan Felton will be in contact and direct you to the appropriate shadow coordinator depending on your field of interest
- Setup initial observation through the volunteer coordinator.
- Complete mandatory volunteer orientation, scheduled every fall, winter, and summer.
- Complete necessary paperwork (confidentiality agreement, dress code agreement, and volunteer agreement) prior to beginning volunteer hours.
*Please note that a student volunteer is classified as a prospective therapy student earning observation hours, as well as, hands on experience with the setup, cleanup, and participation in non-therapeutic tasks, while under the direct supervision of the licensed therapist. Volunteers play a significant role in the success of our group therapy sessions, but may also have opportunities helping with individual therapy sessions, upon request.
Shadow and Volunteer Dress Code Policy
When visiting Emerge, please follow the following dress code requirements:
- Khakis and chinos are acceptable pants. Please refrain from wearing jeans, exercise pants, leggings, shorts, dresses, or skirts.
- Collared shirts or simple tops and blouses are acceptable. Please refrain from wearing low cut tops and graphic t-shirts.
- Only minimal jewelry, if any, should be worn. Nothing that a child could potentially pull off of you.
- Wear shoes that can slip on and off easily. Socks are optional.
- Emerge is a scent/smoke free facility. Refrain from wearing perfume or scented lotions.
- Dress comfortably, while adhering to the above requirements.